Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday


This was the first year in fifteen years I didn't attend black Friday. I got to sleep in and watch it unfold before me remotely from my bed. To say the least it was different. I just love to get up at 3 am, throw my clothes on, get some hot cocoa, and go wait in line for hours in the cold. The bonding experience in line with other people that are willing to beat the crap out of you if you are in line for the same item, is like no other experience. I was doing black Friday before it was cool to do it. Back in the day, there were no police to guard the doors or break up any fights. We were all on our own.

I remember one year we were at KB toys. It was a very small store in Charleston SC. It probably should have had a 50 person cap. There were over 100 people standing in line to get in. They gave the 10 second count down, 3 2 1. Then the gate slide open and people crammed in the store like sardines. There were so many people side by side that the items on the top shelf were swaying back and forth. The next thing you know the lady standing next to me got hit on the head with a My Size Barbie box. She hit the floor and then people just started walking over her because she was no longer in the way. She had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance. The next year they only let a certain amount of people in the store. Good idea!

I believe Black Friday has now become a sport. There is always a choice. Shop and take the risk of being trampled on, or watch safely and remotely from your bed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is our third year of Black Friday in this country and the first year was a novelty for Dash and I then the second year, Phil had to experienced it with the two lads but this year... nah.... the boys slept in and we had to work. We just order online at our own business site, no hassle plus we get rebate! Fantastic!